This week the Squidgypigs are reviewing Burgess Excel Guinea Pig Nuggets with Blackcurrant and Oregano.
What are Burgess Guinea Pig Nuggets?:
- Complimentary nugget shaped Guinea pig food.
- A small dark nugget
- Rather fragrant.
What can your pet do with them?:
- Eat them
- (If you read this blog regularly you’ll know what Slincypig is prone to doing…)
- Grass, Maize, Wheat, Lucerne, Soya Bean Hulls, Peas, Soya, Oat Bran, Unmolassed Beet Pulp, Yeast, Soya Oil, Ligno-Cellulose, Molasses, Calcium Carbonate, Monocalcium Phosphate, Vitamins, Fructo-oligosaccharides 0.25%, Salt, Minerals, Blackcurrant Flavour, Oregano Oil, Contains Natural Antioxidants.
- No artificial colours or preservatives.
- Beneficial Fibre 36%, Crude Fibre 17%, Protein 17%, Oils and Fats 4%, Ash 6%, Calcium 0.9%, Phosphorous 0.50%, Vitamin A 22,000iu/kg, Vitamin D3 1500iu/kg, Vitamin E (a-tocopherol acetate) 100mg/kg, Vitamin C 800mg/kg, Copper as cupric sulphate 12mg/kg.
- In addition to the high vitamin C everybody expects in a Guinea Pig nugget; being hay based I really like that these nuggets have the high fibre content that keeps the digestive system in great shape as well as aiding the upkeep of those ever growing teeth.
- It should be noted that these nuggets have a slightly higher calcium content than some of the other nuggets we have reviewed, although in your average young, healthy animal this shouldn’t cause a problem it may be worth noticing if you have a piggy with known calcium/bladder issues.
Burgess is an independent family run business based in Thornton-le-Dale. We are one of the UK’s leading pet food manufacturers, catering for the country’s top nine most popular pets including dogs, cats, rabbits, guinea pigs, chinchillas, hamsters, gerbils, rats and ferrets.
You can find out more at Burgesspetcare.com
- When you open the Burgess Excel Nuggets you are faced with a fruity yet strangely savoury aroma; I’m guessing that the oregano is responsible for this.
- The scent is definitely pleasant but being a mum I cannot shake the thought of toddler-spilt-blackcurrant-squash.
- Nuggets (as I’m sure you know) are designed to stop selective feeding and ensure that every mouthful contains the same nutritional goodness.
- I love the size of these nuggets, they remind me of the Dwarf Rabbit pellets I used to feed my beloved “Little Bunny” (now sadly departed over the Rainbow Bridge).
- They seem a good palatable dimensions and after feeding there doesn’t seem to be the large quantity of dust and crumbs that you get with some larger nuggets.
- Burgess Blackcurrant & Oregano Guinea Pig Nuggets are clearly incredibly desirable to Guinea Pigs; the Squidgypigs delighted in munching every last nugget then searching around for more.
- The Squidgypigs definitely seemed to enjoy these unusually flavoured nuggets. I liked the fact the Burgess Excel Blackcurrant & Oregano Nuggets had a very distinct look and aroma compared with the other pellets we have reviewed.
- The price is a little higher than some of the other nuggets on the market but as with everything; if your pet enjoys and benefits from the product it’s always a worthy investment.
If fruity flavours aren’t one of your Guinea Pigs’ favourite things Burgess also make a Guinea Pig Nugget with mint:
Burgess Excel Nuggets with Mint Guinea Pig Food 1 kg
Please note: Burgess were kind enough to send us these nuggets to review. If you would like to know more about Burgess you can visit their site at Burgesspetcare.com
Love & Chin Rubs xox