Today we are reviewing:
What is Asda Guinea Pig Food?:
- Nugget shaped Guinea Pig Food.
- To be fed alongside hay, water and veg
- Wheatfeed , Oatfeed , Sunflower Extract , Grass , Lucerne , Carob Meal , Vegetable Oil , Calcium Carbonate , Linseed , Minerals , Yeasts (0.08%) .
What can your pets do with it:
- Eat it
- Piddle in a bowl of it (Ned and Slincypig I’m looking at you boys…)
Where can I buy Asda Guinea Pig Food?:
- Asda strangely enough 😉
- £2 for 2kg in Asda
- (THIS is an excellent price for any nuggets).
- With no artificial colours or flavours, high vitamin C and containing prebiotics and fibre to help digestion Asda Guinea Pig Food is certainly comparable to nuggets twice the price.
- The calcium content 0.8 is pretty standard for a pelleted Food.
- It could be a little high for elderly piggies with known calcium issues but shouldn’t be a problem for your average healthy piggy.
- Asda Guinea Pig Food consists of dusky brown nuggets that are of a hard and sturdy consistency.
- Nuggets are the preferred choice of food for many Guinea Pig keepers due to the belief that they stop selective feeding behaviour.
- You can see tiny bits of grass/hay in them which is nice in a grass based pellet.
- Although the nuggets are too hard to crush easily between fingers; the Squidgypigs had no problems munching them and everyone from elderly Blondie to the babies seem to be able to eat them with ease.
- However it is noticeable that the pigs simply do not jump on them with the ferocity you can experience with other pellets. I believe this is due to the lack of alluring smell.
- I have noticed that baby Britney; who was born blind (and thus relies to a greater degree on smell) showed limited interest in the nuggets and has found it hard to find them even when their bowl is topped up. Luckily her sister Marilyn is good enough to direct.
- However; by far the worse thing about Asda Guinea Pig Food is the bag. Although it is strong and does obviously keep the nuggets dry; the bag is near impossible to open without scissors or a knife and even then you risk splitting and spillage.
- Additionally due to the rigidity of the plastic you will require sticky tape or similar to close it up again. Of course there is nothing stopping piggy slaves decanting Asda Guinea Pig Food into another vessel but you do at least vaguely expect the bag to do its job and hold its contents!
- You WILL NOT find better Guinea Pig Food for the price!
- Asda Guinea Pig Food is an excellent budget pig food; it is nutritionally sound and generally enjoyed, however may not be a hit with fussier/needier piggies that are used to more elaborate (expensive) foods.
- Absolutely terrible bag though, sorry Asda, I really do love your food but your bag is awful!
- We still buy occasionally but Asda Guineapig Food for some of our pigs because their price cannot be beaten.
- Britney no longer has any problem finding food, of any sort…
- The bag has changed! Woo! Well done Asda! 💕
Love & Chin Rubs xox