Today we answer the question “Can Guinea Pigs eat bananas and banana peels / skins ?”
The very shortest answer is certainly yes.
- Providing you thoroughly wash the skin of the banana there is nothing dangerous in either the fruit or the peel.
- On farms and smallholdings the skins/peels are often recycled into animal food.
- The skins especially are a good source of potassium (good for hearts) and fibre (good for digestion).
- Many Guinea Pig owners will report that their piggies enjoy the skins more than the fruit.
- However you should feed bananas only as a rare treat. This is because bananas are very high in sugar and could lead to diatetic or dental problems.
Do your piggies eat bananas? Do your piggies prefer the fruit or the peel? Let me know below.