Today we are reviewing Friendship Estates ReadiGrass and NEW Green Oat ReadiGrass .
What is ReadiGrass?:
- Heat dried ryegrass or green oat grass
- Guineapig aphrodisiac
- …consists of fine blades of green grass chopped into couple of inch lengths. The grass is clean, dry and with very little dust.
Green Oat ReadiGrass:
- …as the name suggests consists of longer blades of green oat grasses; it possesses a rougher texture but remains just as crisp and clean.
What can you do with Readigrass?
- Feed it on its own.
- Mix it with a basic hay to increase interest.
- Hide it around your Guinea Pigs’ house to encourage foraging behaviour.
- Watch your Guinea Pigs fight over it (Doughnut & Princess Bagel-Baby hang your heads in shame!)
Where to buy it?:
- Buy Readigrass Online
- Pet shops
- Horse/farm supply shops
- The heat drying process ensures that ReadiGrass maintains not only it’s rich colour but also it’s nutritional benefits.
Made exclusively from British pastures, the unique lower-temperature drying process removes the water, but leaves the fragrant grass aroma, vibrant colour and most importantly the high nutrient value of fresh grass.
- This ensures that ReadiGrass is more nutritious than most hay without destroying the vital fibre that guinea pigs and rabbits need for both healthy digestion and to help wear down their open-rooted ever growing teeth.
- Friendship Estates Readigrass has a rich green colour and a rich green aroma.
- It smells delicious!
- Only the slightest whiff of ReadiGrass seems to turn the Squidgypigs a little crazy in their attempts to get the largest portion.
- Mixing ReadiGrass with a standard Hay is a good way to encourage reluctant hay feeders. It’s also apparently rather comfy.
- ReadiGrass really seems to appeal to every guineapig sense there is. It even seemed to turn cute little baby Slincypig into a purring, butt wiggling hormonal mess (we weren’t kidding over the aphrodisiac bit above…).
- The Squidgypigs seemed to love both types of ReadiGrass equally however the Green Oat ReadiGrass contains slightly less calcium content so could be a good alternative to the original for animals with a history of calcium issues.
- ReadiGrass is a brilliant way of encouraging reluctant hay feeders to not only enjoy the vital fibre that Hay and grass provides but also benefit from the munching and chewing motion that help keep their open rooted teeth healthy.
- Friendship Estates ReadiGrass in all its form is a really lovely product.
- Green Oat ReadiGrass is a lovely new addition to the ReadiGrass family and I love that Friendship Estates are creating different varieties, it would be great to see a Timothy version in the future.
- Due to this high nutritional content I will definitely be buying ReadiGrass in the future; not only as a treat for all the Squidgypigs but specifically to help boost my elderly girls’ weight gain in their retirement.
Update 12/10/2017: we still frequently buy Readigrass but now often buy the large 15kg ‘equine’ bales. This is the same delicious Original ReadiGrass but in a much bigger bag.
Buy online: Friendship Estates ReadiGrass 15Kg Bale
ReadiGrass now really does come in a Timothy version (as predicted above).
Please note: Friendship Estates were kind enough to send us a bag of both types of Readigrass to review. If you would like to know more about them visit their site at: http://www.friendshipestates.co.uk
Love & Chin Rubs xox