Welcome to the Squidgypigs Guide to Fleece Bedding.
Why use fleece?:
- It’s warm.
- It’s soft.
- When used properly it’s dry.
- It’s readily available.
- It’s cheaper long term than alternative bedding.
- Could be considered Eco-friendly when compared with disposable bedding.
What do you mean by “used properly”?:
- In order to be a dry, clean bedding for your piggies you must first prepare the fleece then layer your fleece in a particular way so that moisture (piddle) is wicked away from your pigs.
- New fleece is treated before sale with a waterproof conditioner that means liquid will pool and run off instead of wicking through.
How to prepare a new fleece:
- Wash your new fleece in a washing machine at a standard temperature with washing powder or liquid.
- Do not under any circumstances use fabric conditioner or dryer sheets.
- Repeat this wash at least three times to ensure the coating has been removed.
How to layer fleece:
- There are three essential layers.
- The bottom layer is a WATERPROOF layer to contain the piddle and stop your flooring being ruined. Corrogated plastic, a shower curtain or Lino are good options. Due to the size of our Megaherd cage we use a large tarpaulin.
- The middle layer (to be placed on top of the waterproof layer) is the ABSORBENT layer. This ensures that piddle gets sucked away from the top layer. Newspaper, old/cheap bath towels and reusable nappy liners make a good absorbent layer. We are currently using puppy pads (sheets of sanitary towel or changing sheet like material).
- The top layer is your FLEECE. This should be kept flat and reasonably taut to ensure good absorbency.
What about poop?:
- Poop will not magically disappear through the fleece like piddle.
- You must sweep or vacuum your piggy’s poo at least once a day to ensure their housing does not start to smell.
- Some piggies really enjoy poop sweeping time…
Ethel-Seal zoomies before the nightly poop-sweep…she gets excited by the sight of the brush lol! #Guineapig #guineapigs #cavy #cavies #guineapigstagram #guineapigsofinstagram #pets #petstagram #smallpets #rodents #cochondinde #marsvin #cobaye #guineesbiggetje #vegan #vegetarian #meerschweinchen #cavia #豚鼠 #天竺鼠 #marmot #morumotto #cuy #guineapigherd #морскаясвинка
Why is my fleece wet?:
- You may need to wash your new fleece another couple of times.
- Your layers are in the wrong order.
- Your fleece layer is not pulled flat/tight enough.
- Your fleece needs changing.
Things to remember:
- Wash, wash, wash, wash, wash,etc.
- Do not use conditioner.
- Fleece on top.
- Absorbent layer in the middle.
- Waterproof layer on the bottom.
- Poop will not magic away.