So I thought it was about time I updated you on the various happenings in Squidgypigland.
- We had a rather dramatic night about a month ago when I fell over whilst inside the main girlyherd’s cage.
- I cut my hand and badly bruised my ankle.
- Got up fixed the cage and went to tidy myself up and settle a rather worried Squidgygirl.
- I had forgot to count the piggies.
- I returned to find Doughnut and Zelah missing.
- After searching everywhere to my horror I found them…
- Sat in the boys’ cage eating their hay.
- We are hoping that they weren’t in season and are not pregnant but obviously will provide the best care for them if it does seem likely!
Retirement for Blondie and Football:
- About two weeks ago I noticed that our precious golden olden Blondie was losing weight despite appearing to eating well.
- Investigations found no cause for this loss.
- However upon closer inspection of herd dynamics at meal times; I discovered that she was getting pushed out by the younger, stronger girls.
- I decided to separate both Blondie and her lifelong companion Football into their own retirement home.
- They are now thriving and have regained all weight lost.
- Just over a week ago I was contacted by somebody who couldn’t keep their large herd of piggies.
- We agreed to go sort makes from females and maybe take home a girl or two.
- We came home with all their sows; a mum and two of her babies.
- They are all on pregnancy watch due to having lived with boars.
- Princess Dolly-Bubbles is the mum pig that we rescued.
- She is the first Squidgypig with fuzzy fur, we imagine she has some Teddy, Rex or Swiss heritage.
- She’s very nervous and largely scared of humans. I’ve actually never seen such a scared pig.
- She lost a small litter of premature babies just after she arrived here. This is often a risk of back-to-back breeding. It was sad but perhaps best for Dolly-Bubbles I long term since she has only just finished feeding a litter.
- Since being introduced to the large Girly Fluff herd she has been much calmer and will now tolerate human company.
- Lady Chicken-Glitter is Dolly-Bubbles’ baby daughter.
- She doesn’t seem very old, perhaps 12 weeks old.
- She is also scared of humans but is settling into the Girly Fluff herd really well.
- Yum Yum is Dolly-Bubbles’ other daughter and is the same age as Chicken-Glitter.
- She is the least scared of humans and although very jumpy; tolerates being handled quite well.
All new girls are now settling in well to the Girly Fluff herd:
All hail Queen Bagel-Baby?:
- Something I didn’t see coming was Princess Bagel-Baby’s promotion to dominant pig of the Girly-Fluff herd.
- It seems in Blondie’s absence and with the new girls arriving, a new Queen has made herself known.
So our current herd status is:
The Girly Fluff Herd:
- Princess Bagel-Baby
- Princess Dolly-Bubbles
- Lady Chicken-Glitter
- Yum Yum
Chaotic but fabulous.