Sometimes you encounter pet products that are so good at their job that they endure through all changes and adventures your Guinea Pig herd encounter.
For the Squidgypigs; Rosewood Meadow Hay Cookies are one of those products.
What are Rosewood Naturals Meadow Hay Cookies?:
- Each cookie is 70g of real 100% meadow hay
- Compressed into an individual bale.
What can your pet do with them?:
- Eat them
- Climb over them
- Throw them around (more of a bunny thing but some piggies have funny bunny ideas).
- Break them up
- Pose on them (refer to old baby pics below).
Where to buy them?:
- All good independent pet shops.
- Amazon – Meadow Hay Cookies, 1kg
- Some Supermarkets.
- Some good garden centres.
- Since these cookies contain only 100% hay they can be fed as your pet’s main hay input.
- Rosewood recommends:
1 daily per Guinea Pig
3-4 daily per Standard Rabbit
- but naturally this can be adjusted according to the size of your pet.
- Rosewood Meadow Hay Cookies contain a variety of edible field flora, the Rosewood website states:
Pets benefit from the fact that unlike single species grass hays, like Timothy, our hay comes from managed meadows and pasture which contain over 20 different species of grass and edible plants. This improves the overall appeal and palatability; plus ensures the hay provides pets with a better variety of beneficial phyto-nutrients such as antioxidants and flavonoids.
- As fibrevores Guinea pigs (like rabbits) need daily hay for healthy digestion.
- Hay is also essential for good dental health.
- Because Guinea Pig teeth continually grow they need a constant source of hay to help grind them into optimum shape. Lack of Hay can lead to misformed teeth and eventually to malnutrition or even starvation .
- The sturdy and rather attractively designed Hay Cookie box contains a lot of information on both the benefits of hay and how to feed hay.
- You get a good amount of cookies in each box.
- Upon breaking open a Rosewood Naturals Hay Cookie you are met with a gorgeous, rich, fresh aroma of delicious green meadow hay.
- The hay is reasonably soft, with varied foliage all cut into short, easily manageable lengths.
- The Squidgypigs seemed to relish the challenge of the firmly packed cookie bales and regardless of age and size everyone seemed to enjoy taking bites from the bale.
- When we first encountered Rosewood Meadow Hay Cookies Zelah was a tiny, week old ball of ginger fluff. Her small size didn’t stop her tearing hay out of the cookies.
- Due to the compact nature of the Meadow Hay Cookie design there wasn’t alot of waste during or after the product being consumed, consequently I think Rosewood Meadow Hay Cookies would be perfect for the spotless Instagram inspired fleece lined cage you dream of.
- Due to the neat/tidy ‘contained’ nature of the product leading to a low dust content some people with hayfever type allergies could find this a safer hay feed for their pets. You would of course have to test this yourself, I’m not medically trained.
- Something I remain particularly pleased with is the design of the cookies made it significantly harder for our two boars Tabby and Slincypig (and dear departed Ned) to piddle on their hay like they do with a big loose pile. They would need to bust out some mean acrobatic (aquabatic?) moves to ruin these cookies in a hurry.
- Thankfully they seem to enjoy munching on them far too much to bother, which is always good.
- Rosewood Meadow Hay Cookies are an absolute favourite to both the Squidgypigs and myself.
- No matter how our herd dynamics changes Rosewood Meadow Hay Cookies can be relied on for condensed Hay goodness.
- Simply one of the best small animal products on the market. We LOVE them.
Please note: Rosewood were lovely enough to send us these cookies to review, if you’d like to know more about Rosewood visit their site at www.rosewoodpet.com